Just for Fun
These books are great for reading and relaxing. The list includes something for everyone: adventure, suspense and romance.
- Samurai Girl series by Catherine Asai
Sole survivor of a plane crash, Heaven is adopted by a wealthy Japanese family and at nineteen is forced to marry the son of her father’s business rival. On her wedding day she loses the person she loves most, learns that all she knows about her family is a lie and that she is being hunted and must fight back or die.
- The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants by Ann Brashares
Carmen decides to discard an old pair of jeans, but Tibby, Lena, and Bridget think they are great and decide that whoever the pants fit best will get them. When the jeans fit everyone perfectly, a sisterhood and a memorable summer begin.
- Misfits, Inc. series by Mark Delaney
Introduces a quartet of high-school students, self-proclaimed “Misfits,” who become involved in solving a series of mysteries.
- Born Confused by Tanuja Desai Hidier
Seventeen-year-old Dimple, whose family is from India, discovers that she is not Indian enough for the Indians and not American enough for the Americans, as she sees her hypnotically beautiful, manipulative best friend taking possession of both her heritage and the boy she likes.
- Wild Man Island by Will Hobbs
After 14-year-old Andy slips away from his kayaking group, a storm strands him on Admiralty Island, Alaska, where he manages to survive, encounters unexpected animal and human inhabitants, and looks for traces of the earliest prehistoric immigrants to America.
- The Year My Life Went Down the Loo by Katie Maxwell
An American living in London struggles to adapt to the unfamiliar culture and squash the voices in her head urging her to fly home on the first available flight.
- The Year of Secret Assignments by Jaclyn Moriarty
Three female students from Ashbury High write to three male students from rival Brookfield High as part of a pen pal program, leading to romance, humiliation, revenge plots, and war between the schools.
- Angus, Thongs, and Full-Frontal Snogging by Louise Rennison
Presents the humorous journal of a year in the life of a 14-year-old British girl who tries to reduce the size of her nose, stop her mad cat from terrorizing the neighborhood animals, and win the love of handsome hunk Robbie.
- Razzle by Ellen Wittlinger
When his retired parents buy a group of tourist cabins on Cape Cod, 15-year-old Kenyon Baker’s days are filled with repair work until he becomes friends with an eccentric girl and makes her the subject of a series of photographs.
- The Rules of the Road by Joan Bauer
- That Summer by Sarah Dessen
- Alex Rider series by Anthony Horowitz
- Tomorrow, When the War Began by John Marsden
- Nine Lives of Chloe King series by Celia Thomson
- Gossip Girl series by Cecily Von Ziegesar
- The Black Book [Diary of a Teenage Stud] series by Jonah Black
- Grecian Holiday by Kate Cann
- Dark Secrets series by Elizabeth Chandler
- Mates, Dates, and… series by Cathy Hopkins
Last updated: 12 October 2006