Chapel Hill Public Library
A department of the Town of Chapel Hill
Library Master Plan
A library master plan identifies long-range service, technology and facilities goals based on a community’s unique interests and use patterns. It also recommends activities to implement those goals.
Chapel Hill’s 2003 Library Master Plan was adopted by the Chapel Hill Town Council on April 28, 2003. It is in three parts:
- The Five Year Service Plan: 2001-2006 and Long Term Facilities Needs Through 2020.
- The Chapel Hill Public Library Information Technology Plan: 2003-2007.
- The Chapel Hill Public Library Building Program: 2003-2025.
The Master Plan was re-visited in 2008 to identify technology-related issues associated with design and construction of an expanded Pritchard Park library facility. Further updates related to services and technology are underway and scheduled to be completed in 2014.
Activities Related to Service Goals
- Completion of a Phase One collection development project funded by the Chapel Hill Public Library Foundation and the Town’s Library Gift Fund ($305,000 added +9,200 items in traditional and new formats to the library collection (downloadable e-materials; dvds; database subscriptions, etc.)
- 24/7 reference service (NC Knows)
- Launch of library-sponsored adult programs
- Expanded programming for children and teens
Activities Related to Technology Goals
- Webpage development
- Installation of a 22-seat public access computer lab
- Free computer classes
- Library’s online catalog enhancements (“More About the Book”; e-notification; patron reading records; etc.)
- Patron self-checkout (currently 35% of all library materials checked out, or 360,000 items per year)
Activities Related to Facilities Goals
- Citizens approved a $16.23 million bond to expand library services
- Appointment of a Library Building Committee to recommend steps through the design phase for an expanded library
- Selection of, and completed design work from, Robert A.M. Stern, Inc and Corley Redfoot Zack, Inc. for a facility based on Master Plan“s Buildings Program
- Selection of Clancy & Theyes to expand the main library in Pritchard Park to 62,500 square feet. Construction is scheduled to be completed in early 2013
Last updated: 13 January 2012